How Long Does It Take to Get Veneers Fitted?
What Are Veneers in Dentistry?
They are tooth-colored, tooth-shaped porcelain appliances for repairing and restoring teeth in dentistry. Dentists use veneers in Oak Lawn, IL, for cosmetic dental work to improve teeth’ color, shape, size, and alignment. The primary role of dental veneers near you is to improve your smile’s appearance by altering teeth.
What Are the Uses of Dental Veneers?
Dentists can use dental veneers to correct various oral problems. If you are unsure if porcelain veneers are ideal, visit a dentist near you for a comprehensive dental exam. Afterward, the dentist can recommend the most suitable treatment to benefit your aesthetics without undermining your oral health. Some of the factors that may indicate the need for veneers near you are:
- Tooth fractures – a dentist can use dental veneers to fix a crack, chip, or break on your front teeth.
- Small spaces between teeth – if you want to opt-out of wearing braces for several months, you can bank on porcelain veneers to close the gaps between your teeth.
- Oddly shaped teeth – teeth can have unusual shapes, including being too pointy, round, or boxed off. A cosmetic dentist can use dental veneers to contour teeth with shapes that accentuate your facial framework and features.
- Short teeth – porcelain veneers can lengthen teeth, especially if they are worn down.
- Stubborn stains – one way to whiten your smile is by getting dental veneers. They cover up existing stains to change teeth color.
What Should You Expect During Your Dental Veneers Procedures?
The dentist will begin by preparing your teeth that need treatment. Preparation usually entails trimming the tooth enamel to remove a portion of it, creating room for a porcelain veneer. The dentist will prepare the front side of the tooth only. Since these steps are invasive and can cause some discomfort, your dentist will employ local anesthesia beforehand. It numbs your mouth to ensure your treatment is pain-free.
After preparing the tooth, the dentist will take its impressions, creating a mold to help create an accurately sized dental veneer. The creation of the porcelain veneer occurs in a dental laboratory, a process you may not get to oversee. Therefore, the dentist places a temporary dental crown or veneer over your tooth to protect it.
The installation process relies on dental cement and UV light or laser. The dental cement attaches the porcelain shell to your prepared tooth while the laser cures it.
How Long Does the Procedure Take?
The process of getting dental veneers fitted is not short. In many cases, your dentist in Oak Lawn will require two separate dental visits. The initial visit allows the dentist to take the measurements and organize the creation of your veneer teeth. This process takes time because the porcelain veneers are created in a dental laboratory. It is a process that takes about two weeks to complete. The other dental visit is for installing your permanent veneer in your tooth. The installation process is quick, usually taking minutes to complete.
Fortunately, you can liaise with our dental team at Forrest Tower DDS to learn more about same-day dental veneers if you do not want to wait that long.
Are Dental Veneers Worth It?
If you have to spend some money and invest time in a cosmetic procedure, it matters that you get value for your money. Dental veneers near you are not popular for no reason. Some of the incredible benefits of getting porcelain veneers are:
- They look and feel like natural teeth – you do not have to worry about your veneered teeth standing out from the rest of your natural teeth.
- They preserve more tooth structure than dental crowns – dental veneers cover only the front sides of teeth, eliminating the need to prepare the whole tooth before installation.
- They are durable – with proper care, your porcelain veneers should serve you for between 10 and 20 years.
- Dental veneers resist stains much better than composites. Still, exercise caution in caring for your veneered teeth. The reason is that porcelain veneers cannot be whitened. Therefore, if you stain them, you will need to replace them.